Saturday, October 09, 2004

 

Sensenbrenner Corrects Kerry for Misusing His Statements

WASHINGTON, Oct. 9 /U.S. Newswire/ -- House Judiciary Committee Chairman F. James Sensenbrenner, Jr. (R-Wis.) issued this statement following tonight's second presidential debate:

"Tonight, Senator Kerry used my comments regarding the PATRIOT Act to mislead Americans about my position on this critical anti- terrorism legislation. I have stated that a permanent extension of the PATRIOT Act before its provisions expired in 2005 would occur 'over my dead body.' This reflected my opposition to a hasty renewal of the PATRIOT Act without considering the effectiveness of this law.

"As the author of this valuable tool in our war on terrorism, I find it irresponsible for Senator Kerry to mislead the public by characterizing my comments as a slight on the bill or on the work of President Bush and Congress. The PATRIOT Act is one of the most important bills I have ever worked on. It deserves to be debated honestly and deliberately. We must get this issue right because our security and America's values are at stake."


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?